Tony Mazzulli, M.D., FRCPC
Microbiologist, Infectious Disease Consultant
Mount Sinai Hospital, Room 1485
600 University Ave, Toronto Ontario, M5G 1X5,
Phone: (416) 586-4695
Fax: (416) 586-8746
Dr. Mazzulli specialized in Internal Medicine, Infectious
Diseases and Medical Microbiology at the University of Toronto.
Prior to coming on staff at Mount Sinai Hospital, he spent two
years as an MRC Fellow with Dr. Martin Hirsch, Massachusetts General
Hospital, Harvard University, studying antiviral resistance in
Upon his return to Toronto, his responsibilities included
supervision of the Diagnostic Virology and Serology Laboratory
within the Microbiology Department. His primary research interests
include anti-viral drug susceptibility testing, mechanisms of
anti-viral resistance and rapid diagnostic testing. In addition,
he supervises research and clinical trials in bone marrow and
organ transplant patients as well as HIV patients. Dr. Mazzulli
is an active member of several hospital and non-hospital committees
and organizations. He also works closely with Infection Control
and Occupational Health and Safely in the development of policies
and procedures as they relate to the prevention of viral and non-viral
At Mount Sinai Hospital, he is a staff Microbiologist
and an Infectious Disease Consultant. He is also an Associate
Professor at the University of Toronto in the Departments of Medicine
and Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology. He has been the recipient
of several teaching awards in recognition of his achievements
and the esteem in which he is held by medical and undergraduate
For More Articles by Dr. Mazzulli Click Here
- Tansey CM, Louie M, Loeb M, Gold WL, Muller MP, de Jager J, Cameron JI, Tomlinson G, Mazzulli T, Walmsley SL, Rachlis AR, Mederski BD, Silverman M, Shainhouse Z, Ephtimios IE, Avendano M, Downey J, Styra R, Yamamura D, Gerson M, Stanbrook MB, Marras TK, Phillips EJ, Zamel N, Richardson SE, Slutsky AS, Herridge MS
One-Year Outcomes and Health Care Utilization in Survivors of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
Arch Intern Med. 167(12):1312-1320, 6/25/2007.
- Muller MP, Dresser L, Raboud J, McGeer A, Rea E, Richardson SE, Mazzulli T, Loeb M, Louie M; Canadian SARS Research Network
Adverse events associated with high-dose ribavirin: evidence from the Toronto outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome
Pharmacotherapy 27(4):494-503, 4/1/2007.
- Rebbapragada A, Wachihi C, Pettengell C, Sunderji S, Huibner S, Jaoko W, Ball B, Fowke K, Mazzulli T, Plummer FA, Kaul R
Negative mucosal synergy between Herpes simplex type 2 and HIV in the female genital tract
AIDS. 21(5):589-98, 3/12/2007.
- Majury A, Ash J, Toye B, Evans G, Mazzulli T, Winter AL, Gamble G.
Laboratory diagnosis of human infection with avian influenza
CMAJ. 175(11):1371, 11/21/2006.
- Wang X, Lau C, Wiehler S, Pow A, Mazzulli T, Gutierrez C, Proud D, Chow CW
Syk is downstream of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and mediates human rhinovirus activation of p38 MAPK in airway epithelial cells
J Immunol. 177(10):6859-70, 11/15/2006.
- Louie L, Simor AE, Chong S, Luinstra K, Petrich A, Mahony J, Smieja M, Johnson G, Gharabaghi F, Tellier R, Willey BM, Poutanen S, Mazzulli T, Broukhanski G, Jamieson F, Louie M, Richardson S; Ontario Laboratory Working Group for the Rapid Diagnosis of Emerging Pathogens
Detection of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus in stool specimens by commercially available real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assays
J Clin Microbiol. 44(11):4193-6., 11/1/2006.
- Petrich A, Mahony J, Chong S, Broukhanski G, Gharabaghi F, Johnson G, Louie L, Luinstra K, Willey B, Akhaven P, Chui L, Jamieson F, Louie M, Mazzulli T, Tellier R, Smieja M, Cai W, Chernesky M, Richardson SE; Ontario Laboratory Working Group for the Rapid Diagnosis of Emerging Infections
Multicenter comparison of nucleic acid extraction methods for detection of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus RNA in stool specimens
J Clin Microbiol. 44(8):2681-8, 8/1/2006.
- Muller MP, Richardson SE, McGeer A, Dresser L, Raboud J, Mazzulli T, Loeb M, Louie M.
Early diagnosis of SARS: lessons from the Toronto SARS outbreak.
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006 Apr 4; [Epub ahead of print], 4/4/2006.
- Zhu H, Hu S, Jona G, Zhu X, Kreiswirth N, Willey BM, Mazzulli T, Liu G, Song Q, Chen P, Cameron M, Tyler A, Wang J, Wen J, Chen W, Compton S, Snyder M.
Severe acute respiratory syndrome diagnostics using a coronavirus protein microarray.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103(11):4011-6., 3/14/2006.
- Walmsley SL, Raboud J, Angel JB, Mazzulli T, Shen S, Casciaro L, Young CD, Moussa G, Gough K, Rachlis A, Hopkins J
Long-term follow-up of a cohort of HIV-infected patients who discontinued maintenance therapy for cytomegalovirus retinitis
Vet Intern Med. 7(1):1-9, 2/1/2006.
This website has been made possible through an unrestricted educational grant from
Pfizer Canada Inc.